After a few weeks of feeling a combination of holiday burnout, winter laziness, and flu I was left with an unfinished headboard that, for some reason, completely refused to build itself. So I thought I’d put to rest my nightly “honey, we should really finish that headboard……..” and dragged my still slightly feverish self and husband downstairs into my other “shop” (gross carpeted basement bathroom) and we got back to work.
One of the biggest challenges was connecting all those staggered boards. Attempting to make everything tight and secure had left the back of the headboard looking like quite an eyesore. But that’s no thang… the front is gorgeous, so give her a good flip, admire the view for a moment, and add a few coats of polyurethane with adequate dry time in between.
The next challenge was figuring out how do configure the lights. I knew I wanted to do something a little different than in the tutorial. I decided to go with a fun industrial look so I headed back out to Menards. Here’s what I got. The light kit was around $6, the rest of the hardware came to around $10. I bought two of everything since I was making two lamps.
So let’s assemble these bad boys.
Now, take it all apart because you’ll want to attach it to the bed. Here’s how. Measure where you would like the lights to be. I chose 4″ from the top, 6″ from the side. Drill your hole. You really don’t have to go that big, as long as you can get your cords through, you’re solid gold.
Attach the flange…. poke the cords through…. attach the elbow…. poke the cords through…. attach the nipple that contains the bushing and threaded rod….poke the cords through. You get it. It’s much easier to poke the cords through one or two pieces at a time then to try to get them through the whole fixture at once. You’ll end up with something like this. Don’t be intimidated by the wiring. It’s almost impossible to mess this up. But.. it is still a little possible, especially when your nine year old gets a hold of it when you aren’t looking, and shorts out much of the kitchen.
Now, tighten it all up and plug that baby in!
Don’t get too excited. You have to do it again on the other side. So do it.
Now comes the easy part. Cut a 1×6 into two 12 inch pieces. Stain them. (I chose Minwax’s Dark Walnut) Let dry. Give them a few coats of polyurethane with adequate drying time in between. Now attach the shelf brackets. I used a handy spacer that I had laying around. This drives my husband nuts. (especially when he saw me take a photo and he realized I was going to include the Lincoln log spacer in my tutorial) I pushed the other shelf against the back, to make sure the brackets would eventually be flush against the headboard.
Do both shelves and attach to the frame.
And that’s almost it. We decided to go with a French cleat to hang it. If you don’t know what that it, it’s just a 2×4, cut at an angle. Attach one side to the bed frame, the other to some studs in the wall. Then just set the bed frame in like a puzzle piece.
Here is the final result. My one regret is not making two.
if you want to see part one of this tutorial find it here.