When I started this project, I had not meant it to be a tutorial or a review, so I apologize ahead of time for the lack of photos. I just loved how it turned out and I was impressed with the products I used, and I thought I’d share a bit about both.
First, the piece. I bought this cute little cabinet at an auction recently. I knew instantly that I wanted to paint it black. It was originally a record cabinet that had been gutted, there’s even a hole, which I opted not to fill, where the old Victrola handle used to be. (I wish it still was)
So after a very thorough cleaning, very light sanding, and a major fix and filling of the veneer on the top, I painted it using Americana Decor Chalky finish in carbon. I have used this paint many times, and have never been disappointed, and the nice thing, for a small project like this, the little sizes they come in are perfect!
So I got out my black, gave it two coats (lightly sanding in between coats) and a wet sanding. For those of you who don’t know, this paint is great for wet sanding. After it dries to the touch, about 30 minutes or so, take a damp sponge, and a clean bucket of water, and just start rubbing over the parts you’d like to sand. No dust, which means if you are careful, you can easily do this inside. You do have to clean off your sponge often to avoid mess and black fingertips.
The next day after another light sanding, I waxed and buffed my piece.
Now for the fun part! The glass. When I bought this cabinet, the glass was clear, and you could see the contents of the cabinet. However, the shelves are narrow, and I didn’t see it as the best piece to put things on display, so I decided to try doing a mercury glass finish to the glass.
After reading several tutorials on this, all of them different, but similar, I came to the conclusion that you can’t really screw this up. So this is exactly what I did.
- Remove the cabinet door and tape off the frame surrounding the glass. I also cleaned the glass. Important: You do this to the back side of your cabinet door, not the front.
- You take a spray bottle and spritz the glass (still on the back side) with straight vinegar.
- You shake up a can of Krylon Looking Glass spray for at least a minute. Then give the cabinet door a light spray in a sweeping motion over top of your vinegar droplets. I did two light coats, one about 30 seconds after the other.
- Then I did another very light spritz of vinegar and another two light coats.
- After about 2 minutes I took a paper towel, balled it up and VERY lightly blotted the surface.
- I repeated this process until I got the look and opacity that I desired.
Speaking of opacity, this stuff is so cool. When you looked at it from a distance, it looked like an old mirror, but when you looked at it close up, you could see right through it. I LOVED how it turned out, and like I said, I don’t think you can screw this up.
And there you have it, a super simple, SUPER neat finish. Try it on a project of your own and send me a pic, I’d love to see your own creations!
As always, thanks for reading.